- 600 gram. chicken minced
- 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1/2 cup spring onion, thinly sliced
- 5 tablespoons Prik hom (ground dried red chilies)
- 1/2 cup Shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoons fish sauce.
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Khao koor (ground toasted rice)
- 1/4 cup coriander (cilantro), chopped
- 1/8 cup spearmint chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown palm sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
Lab Kai is a chicken salad which Thai people eat with lettuce or raw vegetables. Also seen to eat with sticky rice. The names changes in Thailand i have seen Laab Kai , Labb Kai ,Lab Kai on different menu’s. It comes from the North where the border with Laos is.
1. Heat up a pan on medium until it’s hot. Add chicken stock and then immediately add chicken and stir. Keep stirring until it’s well done.
2. Put the chicken in a bowl. Add fish and soy sauce sauce, spring onion, shallot,onion coriander,bail,mint,sugar,vinegar, lemon juice, prik hom ( ground dried red chilles) and almost all of ground toasted rice into the bowl. Mix well and taste. It should be a little bit hot and sour. Add lemon juice or fish sauce if required.
3. Arrange the chicken mixture on a serving platter. Garnish with spearmint and sprinkle with the rest of toasted rice on top. Surround the chicken with lettuce and herbs.