- Short Crust Pastry
- 500 gm plain flour; sieved into a large bowl
- 1/2 tspn tumeric
- salt to taste
- 250 gm butter; cut into cubes
- 125 mls (half cup) chilled water
- 500 gm minced lean beef
- 4-6 cloves garlic; minced
- 2 inch ginger; grated
- 2-3 chillies; minced fine
- 1 tspn tomato puree
- 1 tsp Worchester sauce
- 1 tsp HP sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 medium onions
- 3 spring onions
- 3 tblspn chopped coriander
- 1 tbspn chopped mint
- 1 beaten egg for glazing
The long list of meat pies /empanadas indicates that this is popular all over the world. Depending on the filling or fried/baked gives the differences from the countries. This recipe is the Khoja style meat pie. Shia Muslims who settled in Pakistan and India.
1.Place the flour, tumeric salt and butter in large bowl.
2. Use your finger tips to rub the butter into flour so that you get a fine breadcrumb like mixture
3. Add the cold water slowly mix to bind into dough-like consistancy
4. Wrap in cling-film and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes
1. Dry cook the minced beef with garlic, ginger, chillies and salt, until all the liquid evaporates, break the lumps if they form.
2. Add Worcestershire, HP and tomato sauce, together with mustard and tomato puree. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and add garam masala, onions. When cool add the mint and coriander.
Preheat the oven at 220
1. Remove pastry from the fridge, and divide into 20 pieces.
2. Roll into a 3 inch circle, place the filling in the centre, wet half the edge with water and fold.
3 Mark the edge with a fork and place on a greased oven tray.
4.Repeat until you have made 20. Prick each pastry with a fork and brush with beaten egg
5. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes