- Spinach cheese puffs
- 125g fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 125g feta, grated
- 25 gram chopped sundried tomato
- 50 gram fried bacon finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 sheets filo pastry
- 1 tablespoon salt reduced margarine, melted
- Sweet chilli sauce
- 40g long red chillies, seeds removed, halved lengthways
- ½ red capsicum, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- ½ clove garlic, peeled
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 10 gram chopped basil
- parsley, chopped
This lunch snack or starter is light and has lots of explosive tastes….feta, sun dried tomato combined with spinach gives that wonderful Mediterranean flavor. It is easy to make within the hour.
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. For puffs, bring a saucepan of water to the boil, add spinach and cook for 2-3 minutes, until just cooked. Drain through a colander and place in a large mixing bowl. Add spring onions and feta sun dried tomato and bacon. Beat the egg in a small bowl and add to the mixture, stir to combine.
3. To prepare the pastry, melt the margarine in a small bowl. Fold one sheet of filo pastry into three, brushing with melted margarine between layers.
4. Place one heaped tablespoon of filling at the end of each sheet. Fold into small triangle, continuing to fold into triangles for the length of the pastry. Repeat to make eight puffs.
5. Brush puffs with melted margarine and place on a tray with baking paper. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden.
6. For sweet chilli sauce, place chillies, capsicum, garlic and half the vinegar into the chopper attachment of a stick blender. Process until finely chopped.
7. Place chopped chilli mixture, the remaining vinegar and sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Cook for five minutes, stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally add basil when ready to turn off heat.
8. Sprinkle parsley over puffs to garnish and serve with sweet chilli sauce.