Now we know how to make a ROUX we can basically make every creme soup there is which is actually the goal of this recipe. Creme soup is nothing more then a flavored broth thickened with white sauce. Making creme soup is simple but there are a few points to remember.
We either use a cold broth and a hot roux or we use a cold roux and a hot broth. I think the easiest way is to use a cold roux ( you can always prepare a roux the day or 2 before ) we also want the soup to be hot so the easiest way is to use hot broth on a cold roux.
For making basic creme soup we need
- blanc roux (for binding)
- clear broth (for liquid )
- cream (for a full creamy flavor)
After making this soup we can add ingredients like: Mushrooms or the fluid from mushrooms. Sometimes we add already spices or ingredients to the roux like:
- curry to make curry soup later.
- onions or mirepoix
- tomato paste to make tomato soup later
Where to pay attention
- use cold roux or warm broth
- mixing you do with a whisk, stirring your do with a spatula ( to prevent to activate the “gluten” in the soup which can make the soup sweet)
- keep stirring since it can stick to the bottom
- cook for 30 min so the flour taste goes away
|Creme Soup Basic knowledge||
- 1.4 liter broth (depends on your soup, chicken,beef,fish…etc)
- 50 gram butter
- 60 gram flour
- put the cold roux in a large pan.add 1/2 of the hot broth and whisk briefly to mix well and avoid lumps. Then switch to your spatula and keep stirring when all is mixed well ad the rest of the broth.
- Cook for 30 min while stirring with a spatula.
Due to difference in flour the binding power can be different. if the soup is too thick use more broth.